Monday, January 19, 2009

Hope and Change

I haven't blogged in over 20 months! Mostly, I haven't had much to say. However, I am feeling more heartened now than I ever have before. A momentous thing is happening this year, a thing that represents a great change, that somehow gives me hope for the future... Andrew Breitbart's Big Hollywood blog. Watching conservatives come out of the closet like this moves me in a way I never would have imagined.

When I was in my early twenties, I was quite left-of-center. A lot of this posture and puffery was due to my intensely-felt desire to root for the underdog and to fight what I perceived as injustice. As I got older, I began to realize how imaginary the injustice really was as I encountered more and more of that nasty Real World I had assiduously avoided in college.

One thing I began to dimly realize was how certain groups were immune to criticism and how other groups were criticized immediately, no matter how mild the comments made. Certain groups had to preface every utterance with a disclaimer, and other groups could make bold, outrageous statements with impunity, even riotous support.

[c.f. Razib's comment: "I will tell you something that many readers might find shocking, but people who know me will know is true, I would try something on people in my freshmen year classes when I first met them, I would assert, "White men should be killed and their women should be used as fuck-animals... " versus the way that most Christians have to preface even the midlest comment with, "I don't mean to offend anyone..."]

Thank you, Andrew Breitbart! Big Hollywood is professional, constantly updated, always engaging, and profoundly entertaining. It is clear that a lot of time and planning went into making this blog a success. A lot of people have taken tremendous career risks by choosing to blog on Big Hollywood. Thank you, brave souls, for speaking out!

No comments: