Thursday, February 09, 2017

Good and Hard

I started blogging again in part because we really are living in interesting times.  I want to document how great it is for those of us who love Trump.  I already regret not blogging the ramp up to the election.  At first, I was simply excited for the man to blow up the Republican party, since that was a long time coming.  The fact that he destroyed the Bush dynasty was enough for me (please clap).  Then, he destroyed the Clinton dynasty.  If he had done nothing more once he got into office but suck his own toes from that moment forward I would have considered him the best President of my lifetime.

But he just kept going.  His first two weeks were amazing.  He actually came through on many of his campaign promises.  I never want to be like one of those useful idiots who worshipped Obama, so I am continually having to pull back on how much I like this guy. I even like many of his mistakes.  For example, Education Realist made some great points about Betsy DeVos.  While I am happy she was confirmed, ER has convinced me she wasn’t the best pick.  I hope she is capable of addressing the nightmare that is Common Core, but she might be in over her head.

Before the election, I had some pundit tweet to me a part of that famous Menken quotation:  “… the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” He wrote this in the context that we rubes who wanted to destroy the Republican party didn’t understand what is good for us, unlike those beltway consultants who make a living advising establishment conservatives. The full quotation is “Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard,” and I could not agree more. We knew what we wanted.  There were enough of us to vote what we wanted into office.  The pundits and establishmentarians didn’t see Trump coming, didn’t understand why we wanted someone like him, and still cannot understand the history unfolding in front of their eyes.

The times we are living in are miraculous.  Perhaps Trump can reverse things, or perhaps it is too late. Either way, to witness white middle class America finally turn and fight instead of continuing to retreat is a rare gift and blessing. I am in awe to be alive right now.

No comments: